Otosclerosis in a nonendemic population: Utility of CT scan and correlation with audiometry and surgical outcome | Ear, Nose & Throat Journal Skip to content Skip to navigation

Otosclerosis in a nonendemic population: Utility of CT scan and correlation with audiometry and surgical outcome

| Reprints
June 28, 2018
by Lu Hui Png, MBBS, MRCS, MMed(ORL); Jing-Yin Pang, MBBS, MRCS(Edin), MMed(ORL); Amit Karandikar, MBBS, FRCR(UK); Julian Park Nam Goh, MBBS, FRCR(UK); Seng Beng Yeo, MBBS, FRCS(Edin), FAMS(ORL); Heng Wai Yuen, MBBS, MRCS, MMed(ORL)

Abstract

The incidence of otosclerosis in nonendemic patients is low, and preoperative diagnosis can be challenging. The aim of this study was to evaluate computed tomography (CT) findings in patients with otosclerosis and determine their correlation with audiometric findings and surgical outcome in a nonendemic population. We retrospectively reviewed 17 patients from August 2011 to August 2013 with surgically confirmed otosclerosis who underwent preoperative high-resolution CT scans and pre- and postoperative audiometry. Otosclerotic foci were identified on the scans. The density ratio of these foci was calculated and compared with pre- and postoperative audiometric parameters. One patient with Paget disease was excluded from the study. A total of 19 ears were operated on and included in the data analysis. CT scans were normal in 4 ears (21.1%). Hypodense lesions were detected in the remaining 15 (78.9%) ears and the region of interest mapped out. The density ratio was obtained between the hypodense area and adjacent normal labyrinthine bone. No statistically significant correlation was found between the density ratio and any of the audiometric parameters tested (p > 0.05). The diagnosis of otosclerosis in nonendemic areas is challenging. A preoperative CT scan can be useful when otosclerotic foci are present. However, the density ratio of the otosclerotic foci did not correlate with audiometric parameters or surgical outcome.

ENT Journal provides full text articles to our registered members.
Please log in or sign up for a FREE membership to view the full content:

You may also like to: