Improvement in allergic and nonallergic rhinitis: A secondary benefit of adenoidectomy in children | Ear, Nose & Throat Journal Skip to content Skip to navigation

Improvement in allergic and nonallergic rhinitis: A secondary benefit of adenoidectomy in children

| Reprints
June 5, 2015
by Meir Warman, MD; Esther Granot, MD; Doron Halperin, MD, MHA

Abstract

Chronic rhinitis (CR) is a common disorder in children. Allergic rhinitis (AR) is a risk factor for CR, and children with AR tend to suffer more from hypertrophic adenoids than do patients with nonallergic rhinitis (NAR). Few studies have addressed the issue of alleviating symptoms of pediatric CR or AR following adenoidectomy alone. We conducted a retrospective chart review to determine whether CR in children improves after adenoidectomy and whether children with AR will benefit more than those with NAR. Charts of 47 children who had undergone adenoidectomy for nasal obstruction and chronic middle ear effusion were reviewed. AR and NAR subgroups were classified based on symptoms, signs, blood IgE, and nasal smear (allergic criteria). Hypertrophic adenoids were graded using the adenoid-to-nasopharyngeal ratio (ANr >0.8). A questionnaire was used to assess the change in chronic rhinitis postoperatively. Improvement in CR was reported in 37 of 47 (79%) children. Patients with AR improved to a higher extent than those with NAR (12 of 14 [86%] vs. 25 of 33 [76%], respectively), but the difference was not statistically significant. A total of 41 lateral postoperative nasopharyngeal x-rays were obtained. The x-rays revealed that 20 of 26 (77%) of patients with ANr >0.8 had complete and 4 of 26 (15%) had partial resolution of symptoms of CR for a total resolution rate of 92%, compared to only a 53% resolution in the ANr <0.8 subgroup (6 of 15 and 2 of 15 patients, respectively [p <0.05]). The correlation between adenoid size and resolution of CR was not related to any of the AR/NAR subgroups. We conclude that symptoms of CR may improve after adenoidectomy in children who are experiencing nasal obstruction and chronic otitis media with effusion. Clinical improvement did not differ between AR and NAR patients, and was more prominent in children with hypertrophic adenoids (ANr >0.8).

ENT Journal provides full text articles to our registered members.
Please log in or sign up for a FREE membership to view the full content:

You may also like to: