Ballpoint pen ingestion in a 2-year-old child | Ear, Nose & Throat Journal Skip to content Skip to navigation

Ballpoint pen ingestion in a 2-year-old child

| Reprints
July 14, 2011
by Anaïs Rameau, MD, CM, MSc, Sumeet M. Anand, MD, and Lily H.P. Nguyen, MD, CM, MSc, FRCS(C)


A 2-year-old girl ingested a ballpoint pen, which was found on chest x-ray to have lodged in the lower esophagus and stomach. The pen, which measured nearly 15 cm in length, was removed via rigid esophagoscopy without complication. To the best of our knowledge, this is the longest nonflexible foreign body ingested by a young child ever reported in the English-language literature. We describe the presentation of this case and the current guidelines for safety as enumerated in the Small Parts Regulations established by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

ENT Journal provides full text articles to our registered members.
Please log in or sign up for a FREE membership to view the full content:

You may also like to: