Acquired toxoplasmosis is a common parasitic infection in humans. It can be caused by ingestion of infected meat or other food that has been contaminated by the feces of infected cats. Approximately 90% of immunocompetent patients with acquired toxoplasmosis are asymptomatic and undiagnosed; in the other 10%, toxoplasmosis manifests as a nonspecific, self-limited illness that usually does not require treatment. In symptomatic cases, cervical lymphadenopathy is one of the most common clinical findings. We report the case of a 33-year-old woman who experienced unilateral facial swelling secondary to toxoplasmosis. In addition to the atypical location of her disease (i.e., the buccal area), the atypical histopathologic findings in this case (e.g., extranodular involvement) constituted a very unusual presentation of toxoplasmosis.
Source URL: http://www.entjournal.com/article/acquired-toxoplasmosis-buccal-area-extranodular-involvement-report-unusual-case#comment-0