Extensive dentigerous cyst associated with a mesiodens: CT findings

August 21, 2013
| Reprints

Abstract

The most common of the supernumerary teeth in humans are mesiodentes, which arise in the midline of the maxilla between the central incisors. The most common pathologic findings associated with a mesiodens are retention of the adjacent incisors, malposition, and diastema. The development of a dentigerous cyst in association with an impacted mesiodens is relatively uncommon. We report the case of a 35-year-old man with an extensive dentigerous cyst associated with a mesiodens who presented with a painful swelling in the left nasolabial area. We discuss the imaging findings in this case, particularly the contribution of computed tomography, and we review the literature on this interesting condition.

Introduction

A dentigerous cyst is the most common type of developmental odontogenic cyst.1 It develops as a result of an insufficient amount of enamel epithelium in an impacted permanent tooth.1 Approximately 95% of all dentigerous cysts involve the permanent dentition, while the other 5% are associated with supernumerary teeth.1

ENT Journal provides full text articles to our registered members.
Please log in or sign up for a FREE membership to view the full content:

You may also like to: